Monday, May 20, 2013

Talent shows and Toilet seats

Leibe Familie!!
 
So this week has been crazy. Last night we were brainstorming ideas of which stories we should email home and the list was enormous. We had some good ones this week!
 
 
Our Relief Society had a talent show this week. We went because one of the members was bringing her non-member friend and we also had invited some less actives we were working with. We were excited to see all of the hidden talents of the ladies in our ward.
 
So how did it go?
 
Let me tell you that a German talent show is quite different from our talent shows back home. It was very dry and serious. It was very German. There weren't any funny skits or silly dances or weird talents like licking your elbow.
 
None of that.
 
There was a lot of poetry and short stories read. One lady even read her journal to us. Lots of sisters played the organ or piano but like crazy hard core Bach pieces. That was the talent show.
 
But wait, are any of you wondering what we did for our talent?!?
 
Sister Schrade played a really jazzed up version of the Hokey Pokey on the piano and we danced and taught the ladies the dance.
 
Yes we did.
 
That is real talent :)
 
We also tausched this week. I got to go to Marzhan with Sister Kriser. We served in the MTC together and got to be really good friends.
 
 
It was so fun to spend some time with her. They also ride bikes in Marzhan so I had my first bike riding adventures in Germany. The skirt, bag, and helmet combo is really cute. Trust me! (Or don't because I have attached a picture. You can see for yourself).
 
 
I also broke a toilet seat while on Tausch. I sat on it and it snapped in two places. I didn't even know that was possible. I need to seriously lay off the Ritter Sports this week!!
 

And yes, this toilet seat does have sand and shells in it.
 
 
We did a lot of finding with our Englisch Kurs fliers. That starts in a few weeks so we have been working with the Elders to get them out. The enormous stack we started with has gone down significantly so that is good! The other night we were finding and a man was walking toward us. We made eye contact and I moved forward like I wanted to speak to him. Before I even said anything, he turned and in a deep booming voice barked out "Mahlzeit!!" (meal time) I think that was supposed to be his explanation for not talking to us. We haven't heard that one before!
 
Service this week was helping a family in our ward pack and get ready to move. My job was packing up the family library. Originally all three of us were doing this job but the other two struggled and were reassigned. Schewester Reichardt was impressed with my ability to box the books. Hello! Lee Brown is my father. I can pack a box of books!!
 
 
 
She rewarded me by letting me dig through her box of clothes she is giving away. The sisters and I pulled almost all the skirts and dresses out. Some of them need a little help but we have made it a goal to wear them all. This is Berlin. Everyone wears whatever they want! This week I will be adding some old German grandma skirts to my wardrobe choices.
 
 
Ummm..... Was noch???.........
 
I found a new favorite German thing. It is big thick vanilla chapstick that looks like a glue stick. LOVE it!
 
 
That is pretty much it for this week.
 
 
Thanks for all of your fun letters and emails. I love hearing from all of my sweet family and friends. You guys are the best!
 
 
Hope everyone has a great week and remembers to pray. (Seriously though. Beten Sie!)
 
 
Liebe Grüße,
Sister Brown

 
Here is me pretending my head is being eaten off by this weird ostrich advertisement. This is a totally normal activity to engage in after hours of finding...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment