Monday, September 16, 2013

When it rains, it pours

Meine Leibe Familie,

I realized how lame last week's email was so I will try to do better this week...

First of all Happy Birthday shout out to Kai Man.  Sister Hayden and I totally sang to him.  I sure hope he heard it :)

We also experienced probably my biggest mission mess up so far.  

We were on our lunch break and were just in the kitchen getting some food made.  Then the power went out.  Sometimes it happens when we have too much going on so we went to the little box and pushed the normal buttons.  Nothing happened.  We called our hausmeister who happened to be on vacation.  So he sent his son over to help us.  His son is 19 and loves to practice his English with us.  He came and got it working again.  So we went back to cooking.  Then seriously like 30 seconds later the power was off again.  We dashed out the door to catch him.  We ran out to the street but he was gone.  

We thought it was a bummer that we had missed him but decided we could just call him.  It was then that we turned around and realized that, in our flustered dash out the door, we had locked ourselves out.  Our keys, phones, bus passes, wallets, and even our shoes were still inside.  We klingled the whole building hoping someone could let us in but no one was home.
We knew the spare key was at the church so after waiting for awhile we decided just to walk there.  So we did.  We walked ourselves all the way to the church in the pouring rain without shoes on.  We looked like crazies!!!   It was the first time in my mission that we have looked for streets WITHOUT people on them.  

We finally got to the church but needed a key to get in to get the spare.  We ended up just stopping people and asking to use their phones.  We found one lady who let us use hers.  The mission numbers are all the same and then the last 4 digits change.  Luckily I knew the elders number and luckily they picked up.  

They were pretty surprised that it was us calling from the unknown number and even more surprised to hear about our predicament.  They came and unlocked the building for us and we got the key.  

I was grateful for their help but I am positive I will never live this one down!

We also did some missionary work this week :)

We did a lot of finding.  A LOT of finding.  

We had an appointment with D******.  Earlier we had tried to make contact but it was hard and then our appointments always fell out.  Last week we had one scheduled and she called to cancel on us.  It was bad news that it was canceled but good news that she was actually letting us know and scheduling another one.  

We went this week and gave her a Book of Mormon and invited her to read in it.  She is such a loving lady and serves so many people.  I think she is really ready to hear the Gospel.
We also had a member call us and ask if we would go by on a less active member.   The crazy thing was that earlier in the day we had rearranged our plans to go by the very same member.  I think she really needed us to go by.  Sometimes we just feel like we need to do something different and it is always cool to have it confirmed that it was a prompting.  It is nice to know that our thoughts are inspired and not always just crazy last minute ideas.  

We ended our week with a missionary farewell.  Jonas G****** is headed to the Provo, MTC today.  He is called to serve in France.  It was a great meeting.  I loved hearing his testimony.  I think he will be an excellent missionary.  The other speakers were his seminary teacher, young mens leader, and the branch president, and then his parents.  

So many sweet testimonies were shared and good advice was given.  This is a really tight ward and you could tell that everyone really loves Jonas.  

It is a really interesting experience to go to a missionary farewell on your mission.  After the meeting the member sitting next to me asked if I could remember my farewell.  I turned to tell him "Ja!" and got all watery eyed.  (the mish has turned me into such a cry baby.  The day isn't complete without Sister Brown just losing it)

It is fun to think about my farewell.  There were so many fun people there who I love.  SO much has happened since then. I have learned so much about myself, about the Gospel, the Spirit, and just life.  I have met so many amazing people and now can even pretend I speak German.  I feel like a totally different person than when I got up and gave that little talk.  

Enough self reflection time :)

There was my week.  I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Love,
Sister Brown
Oh and we have gotten SO much rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment