Monday, April 15, 2013

Ampel Man and Checkpoint Charlie

Hallo meine familie,
 
I went on my first Tausch (split) this week with Sister Curtis.
 
I spent the day in Neukölln.
 
One of their new members had her sweet 16 and we got invited to the party. We didn't have a lot of prep time so we just threw together some no-bake cookies. We had to explain to the other party guests that they really were edible cookies. Some thought it was cat food and others thought it was dog poo.
 
After that drama the girls turned on some music to dance to. The party mix included some Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and F.U.N. The other missionaries I was with have been out too long to know the songs. I was happy I could add my voice as we all sang Call Me Maybe! It was a fun party with delicious food. I think Maia had a wonderful sweet 16.
 
So, the finding adventures continue.
 
We had a trend going this week of people talking to us through the door. It is a super odd thing to talk to someone through their door. We have to bend down really close and speak really loud. Plus it is awkward to think that their faces are also so close on the other side.
 
It is just an extremely awkward situation that I wish could be avoided.
 
I don't quite understand why they don't just open it up and talk to us.
 
We did have some conversations that went better and even gave out a Book of Mormon on the street.
Then, on Sunday we were meeting members of the ward.
 
We were talking with Schwester Coleman and then a lady walked out of the bathroom and talked to us for a minute and then walked out. She just asked if there was a picnic after our meeting. There wasn't. We didn't really think anything of it.
 
Then the Elders run over and ask what went on. We told them and they freaked out and told us she wasn't a member. We obviously don't know the ward well enough at all!
 
Sister Thornton and I both just stood up and ran out. We seriously chased her down the street. We weren't even sure it was her and had no idea what to say but that didn't stop us.
 
It turns out she lives really close to the building and was just checking out what was going on. We invited her to come back next week and got to know her a bit. When we went back to the church the Elders were all shocked we had ran after her.
 
We need to find, Elders.
 
We do what it takes!
 
 Plus after the rug and bunny cookies weird looks mean nothing ;)
 
 
As a mission we have been memorizing Auserwählt zu Dienen (Called to Serve). The words have been in my head a lot lately. They have been super helpful and uplifting to think about when we are finding or just have a long day. God really is our strength. He is there and helps us every tiny step of our crazy days here in Dahlem. So "weiter immer weiter!"
 
Hmmm. What else can I share??
 
So Sister Thornton and I have been eating chocolate. Ok that is an understatement. Since being here in Germany, I have consumed an obscene amount of chocolate. It might be possible that I have consumed more chocolate in the past few weeks than I have in my whole previous life... So yeah a lot of chocolate.
 
Anyways we went to the Ritter Sport store where there are walls and walls of chocolate.
 
 
They also have a little bar where you can make your own chocolate bars.

 
We sure did! It was so much fun. They just came out with all their summer flavors so we happily sampled berry and coconut chocolates. German chocolates will be the death of me!
That is pretty much all for this week!
 
Can't wait to hear all the updates next Monday.
 
Have a great week!!!!!
Love,
Sister Brown
Berlin South Zone
 
We got pizza after zone training. It was a meter in diameter. We ate two. I seriously thought I would explode.





This is the little sign on the crosswalks here when you can cross. There is a little walking green one for "go" and a little stopped red one for "stop". He is called the Ampel Man (ampelmann) and I love him. 
Berlin Wall



 
Checkpoint Charlie





 

No comments:

Post a Comment