Monday, April 22, 2013

Woche 6

Familie,
This week has been another one full of finding. I feel like that is all I ever talk about but we do a lot of it and sometimes the stories are just too good not to share. There sure is never a dull moment when we play the finding game!!
 
We had a lot of the typical finding where people flee and say 'I don't have a need for that.' Or my current favorite 'I don't speak English.'
 
Did you not hear me gagging on my own tongue??
That was most definitely NOT English!
 
I also talked to a man who yelled at us about how God was nonsense and only stupid people would believe in Him. We get a lot of funny and crazy conversations from finding. However, I picked to talk to him because he looked safe. He was kicking around a soccer ball with his son in the park. I hadn't seen that one coming. You never know!
 
 We did have some good experiences finding this week too!
 
 
We had district finding in Lankwitz this week. We set some goals before. Every companionship was supposed to pass out 15 of the big Book of Mormon pass along cards and 1 Book of Mormon and then our usual little Mormon.org cards too. I will be honest and say I wasn't super convinced we would make it. It may not sound like a lot to do, but sometimes we can't even get people to stop and talk to us so finding people to have enough interest to take cards and a book seemed daunting.
 
It would be safe to say I was lacking some serious glaube.
 
We got started and it was pretty slow. I was thinking we would be good to get 5 cards out. Then we prayed and things started to pick up. We continued to find and not only met our goals but we passed them. We ended up placing 2 books and passed out 17 big cards and some small ones. We got some names and numbers too. It was incredible. The best part was that when we all came back together to share, everyone had the same experience. We had all given out books, cards, and made out appointments. It was crazy how much success we could see in one small area in just an hour of finding.
 

 
On a completely unnecessary side note: one of the men we gave a Book of Mormon to was wearing a cowboy hat. That was the first time I have seen one here. So yes, we are converting the German cowboys!
 
 
We have been visiting lots of members this week as well. We go by lots of less actives or just older members who have a hard time making it to church. It has been so great to meet these people. We usually go and just listen. They will bring out pictures and tell us stories. The older members have lived through the war and the wall and have amazing stories of the church through all of that. It is so interesting to hear. I also made a new friend this week during one of these visits. Her name is Madie R*** and she is 5 years old. She calls me Sister Brownie!
 
 
We also had another English class this week. We were teaching how to show possession. One of the ways we showed was with 'of'. For example those are the shoes of the man. Anyways we taught all the ways to show possession and then asked for examples of each one. Steven had the 'of' way and his sentence was ''I am a child of..."  At this point all the missionaries in the room are holding their breath. He finished the sentence with 'my parents' so it was a little bit anticlimactic but still a grammatically correct sentence. We all thought he was going to say 'I am a child of God.' That would have been awesome and a great teaching moment. One day, Steven...One day!
We ran a race this week. Yes we did!
 
About a week ago the Zone Leaders called to see if we wanted to run. We thought they were kidding, but they weren't. I don't know how they got President to agree to it but he did and even let us count it as our weekly service. I have no idea how that went down! It was so fun though.
 
We ran through a park in Tiergarten. It was 7K so just over 4 miles. We got a free race T shirt and they also made us missionary shirts. That was the best part of course.
 
We all know I only run for the shirts!
 
It was so fun to be at a race again. There were a bunch of different distances so we got to watch other races before ours. The numbers had names printed on them and it was so fun to cheer everyone on as they finished. We didn't complete the whole experience though because we decided to opt out of the drinking parties at the finish line :)
 

 Nothing pumps you up for a race like a weird dog cow thing in a belly shirt!

 

 
I feel like I need to share something kind of uplifting after all of the random stories from my week.  
 
So here's a shot at that:
D&C 64:33
'Be not weary in well doing for ye are laying the foundation for a great work and out of small things proceedeth that which is great.'
 
That was our scripture for the week. It was just good to remember that our efforts do matter. We may not see success right away and it might feel like we aren't making a difference but we are laying a foundation for something amazing.
 
The gospel is going to be spread all over German! How exciting is that!?!??
 
I am so thankful for the tiny role I get to play in it.
Hope everything is going great! Thanks for all the love and prayers.
Have an amazing day!
Love,
Sister Brown
Klingeling
 A fort we found in the forest


Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral)
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment