Monday, April 29, 2013

Transfers, Fish, and Men without Pants...

Meine Familie,
 
So this week has been crazy.
 
Like Dallin, we had transfers this week too.
 
Saturday morning Sister Thornton and I were sitting at our desks pretending to study, staring at the phone waiting for our call. It was so nerve-racking. We are expecting 17 new sisters in this next transfer and so we had been told a lot of the sisters from my transfer would be training. That made me super nervous. Then Elder Fullmer called to tell us that we were still together and we were both in Dahlem!
 
When we finally stopped screaming and dancing around the apartment, he told us the rest.
 
We couldn't just expect that to be the end of the news. Nope. That would have been way too unadventurous.
 
So we are, as of this Tuesday, a quad with two other sisters. Not a drit, a quad. Was ist das???
 
Like he said, Sister Thornton and I are staying together in Dahlem. We just are going to be joined by two more sisters. One of them was in the MTC with me and I don't know the other one. She is a German sister here who has been waiting for her visa to go to her mission in Arizona. She finally got it and leaves in 3-ish weeks. After she leaves then the three of us will be a drit for the remainder of the transfer. Then we get to go through all the fun anxiety of a transfer call all over again!

So that is the status after the transfer call.
 
So our investigator Helga "tschüssed" us this week. (Tschuss is the informal goodbye in German) It was sad for me. I know that in that first lesson she felt the Spirit and had interest. I'm not really sure what happened there but at least I don't feel disappointed in us. We taught and testified and invited. That's all we can do!

So one of the elders we serve with had a birthday but didn't tell any of us. Not even his companion knew until President called to wish him a happy birthday. We felt bad so we all met up as a district for lunch one afternoon. We let him pick the place because he was the birthday boy and all.
 
Sushi.
 
He picked sushi. I am a fish lover but I usually like it cooked. It was fine. We all ordered a bunch of different ones and then just shared. My favorite had avocado in the middle. It was a strange combo but I liked it a lot. Plus no one threw up so that was a bonus!
 
The next time was in an eating appointment. The husband went back to get us some water and comes back with plates of food. His wife makes homemade bagels and they are delicious. He had made us bagel sandwiches with some cheese and raw fish. Big fat thick huge slabs of raw fish. That was raw fish meal number two.
 
The other day we were finding and we got klingeled into a building. Went in and knocked on the door. It was a really dark hallway and the man opened up the door just a bit and then peeked his head around while he hovered behind the door. We gave our door approach and then he told us "Oh I don't have time for that. I am about to shower." Then to prove his intent to bathe to us, he stepped out from behind the door.
 
He was NOT wearing any clothes.
 
We gave him a card while awkwardly looking up at the ceiling and then we fled. We did sure not see that one coming! I tell you, finding is always an adventure!!
 
We had an eating appointment this week with that nearly put me in a food coma. It was an enormous multiple course meal. We had salad, soup, bread, meat and potatoes and sauerkraut, a cheese and fruit tray, and berries and cream. It was intense! This member owns a restaurant and is an amazing cook so it was all delicious, there was just SO much food.
 
The elders taught us this trick they call the sumo roll. It is this really silly looking almost dance move that you can do while sitting to help "compact your food so you can eat more". It makes you look really dumb and I don't think there is any way that it could physically even make a difference with your digestion, but we did it. If nothing else it was just a mental thing. So a few sumo rolls later and we were back to eating!
 
So here's scripture thought with Sister Brown time:
 
"This is the day which the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it."
-Psalms 118:24
 
This was my scripture this week. I am so blessed to be able to be a missionary right now. It is a little miracle to me that I am here on a mission. I never really saw myself serving one and it wasn't even a choice until last October. I just like waking up every day and being able to think of what a blessing the day is. I am here in Berlin serving the Lord. That is amazing and definitely worth rejoicing and gladness!
 
So that is the end for this week.
 
Bis Montag!
Love,
Sister Brown
 
We got to play sunshine fairy this week and took around flowers
and cake to members who we had been meeting with. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment