Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Deutsch Tag

I am learning how to whistle!!

Meine Familie!!

Hallo!!!!

I love writing these emails.

Ah I can't believe it will be a month tomorrow!

So this week we had Deutsch Tag. Originally it was going to be called Deutsch Day but we decided if we were dedicating an entire day to speaking German the title of the day should also be in German.

We were so excited!

We really did speak almost all German all day long. I was surprised at how much I knew.




Then our teachers got there and informed us that after 3 weeks the expectation is that you only speak German. So I guess our goal wasn't so impressive after all. But we didn't let that stop the Deutsch Tag celebrations!

Now Jeden Tag ist Deutsch Tag!!

So we have service Freitag every week.

As missionaries, we all have to give 90 minutes of service every week. We have been assigned to clean classrooms. No complaints from me because there aren't any showers in the classroom buildings. The sisters' showers are D to the Gusting!

Anyways, we all have to serve but there are so many missionaries here that sometimes they have to stretch to find jobs for us to do. This week I was sweeping the leaves and rocks on the sidewalk into a dustpan. It didn't really make sense why I couldn't just sweep it all into the dirt beside the sidewalk but I was told to put it in a dustpan and then into a trash can. I am almost positive that was just to make it take longer. So that is how I spent the wee hours of Friday morning. Good thing I love the Lord more than I hate doing pointless time consuming jobs. On the plus side, I have never seen the sidewalks outside of 10M so clean!!

Speaking of 10M we just got moved there. They were doing serious cleaning and maintenance on 7M so we got to move rooms. Our new room has much bigger desks and shelves for all our books. Plus now we have rolly chairs! Think of how much German can be learned in rolly chairs! The results will be amazing. We all act like we don't have legs now though. Whenever we go write something on the board or need to throw something away we just wheel ourselves over there. The other day I wheeled myself out into the hallway to get a drink from the drinking fountain. It was then that I realized what the wheely chairs had done to me! I should probably work on walking so my legs remember what that is like...

Check out the new space!!


The teaching appointments are still going well. We had a cool experience with one of our "investigators" Thorsten, the other day. The whole appointment was started off great when he opened the door and was excited to see us. Then he invited us in!! This was an enormous progress. We usually have super awkward doorstep conversations as we try to convince him that he wants to talk to us. So we were thrilled that he wanted us there. We had a great lesson on the Book of Mormon. He told us he had prayed about it but then just felt normal. So we invited him to pray right then and there. So we all knelt down and prayed. The Spirit came into the room so strong. After he said he felt good so we shared Moroni 7:16 and talked about good feelings coming from God. We testified of the Holy Ghost and then he committed to come to church with us! Progress!!! We were so excited. I can't wait until these are real investigators.

There was a funny in that lesson too, though. Don't worry, Sister Brown never disappoints.

My poor companion is so patient as I continue to slaughter the German language and mess up in our lessons. Thank goodness for the Spirit! Anyways, I was asking if we could begin with a prayer. I looked up to ask and saw the board behind him. Some one had drawn on the chalkboard a sketch of THOR. It was enormous and he had flowing luscious locks and huge bulging muscles and was complete with cape and hammer. I just about died. I was laughing SO hard. It was made worse by the fact that it was totally inappropriate to be laughing. I was supposed to be praying and inviting the Spirit...

Anyways the MTC adventures continue.

I locked my keys in the room the other night and had a run in with nuts on fast Sunday. Alles Gut and I am still alive. Just keeping things interesting!

Thanks for all the letters. You have no idea how exciting mail time is around here. The Elders have created a mail song with harmonized parts and all. It is almost a ceremony.

It is so fun to hear what everyone is up to. So thanks for sending it!

Have a great week!!
Ich liebe dich

-Sister Brown

German scriptures engraved!!
Take 2 of the map picture. Yes, I am going to Berlin!
 
Elder Gerhartz has a look alike
And a shout out to Lisa S.
 
and the Browns for awesome packages!!!
 
Thanks SO much!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Hillary was so hilarious! She cracks me up every letter. Do we have a future German comedian??? THOR...oh dear, this cracks me up in more ways than one ;). I am so glad to hear how well she is doing! I also can't believe it's been a month! I am sure it has felt like a million months to her momma!

    ReplyDelete