Monday, March 25, 2013

Hallo from Berlin


Family,

So this is being typed up from a German keyboard and some random keys are moved around so I am trying my best and apologize for any mistakes. I also can't find the exclamation mark so that is a bummer...

I am finally here in Berlin (insert a million exclamation marks here)

It took a couple long flights and quite a few hours of lost sleep but it was totally worth it.

The first thing I noticed was the SNOW. There is snow everywhere. Yeah. So no one warned us it is still the middle of winter here. Provo was just starting to warm up. I showed up in a dress, cardigan, and flats. That quickly changed.

When we first got here we loaded into a bus and went to a church where we checked in and filled out paperwork. Then we had interviews with President Kosak. I don't think I have ever been more nervous to speak in German. He asked me to say the opening prayer and I cringed as my little nervous voice squeaked out the words. He is kind of an intimidating man. I can tell he loves us a lot and is very excited for all of these new missionaries.

Side story: I went to the bank to exchange my money. When it was my turn the lady behind the counter started talking. My eyes got really big and I couldn't remember any German. I turned to the AP who I was with and he helped me get my money and we left. On the way out the door he said, "Hey Sister Brown, wanna know something funny?"

 "Of course"

 "That woman was speaking English."

He was serious too. In my defense though I hadn't slept well in days, we were speaking through a huge thick glass window, and she had a very heavy accent. I'm not sure that really makes anything better but it's all I've got.

So I'm a real missionary here in Berlin. (In desperate need of exclamation marks)

My companion is Sister Thornton. We have been assigned to work in Dahlem. We are opening up the sisters' program there. I guess there haven't been sisters there in like 4 years. There are two companionships of elders that work in our area too. They have been super helpful because we are basically starting from scratch.

Our area book is an empty binder.

We've got nothing.

So we find.

We contact all day long. I am quickly getting rid of my anxieties of talking with random people in German about the gospel. It is pretty much my hobby now. A hard part for me is when the people tell us "That isn't for me" or "I don't need that" AHH it just rips me up inside. Yes you do need this and Yes this is for you. Our Heavenly Father loves these people in Germany. I know that. And I also know there is someone here in Dahlem that is ready for the gospel. We just need to find them.

A big plus to being the first sisters in Dahlem in years, is the apartment. We have the nicest place ever. The first night we spent unpacking our stuff but also all the stuff for the apartment. The kitchen stuff and dishes and bedding is all brand new. (like pulling-it-all-out-of-Ikea-bags new) We are so blessed to have such a nice place to live. It is so fun to be able to come home to a nice warm house. The sisters were telling us about apartments where they would have to scrape mold off the walls. Not here. We share our apartment with another companionship of sisters. It has been so fun to be able to share our funny stories after a day of tracting. Trust me, there are always plenty of stories to be shared.

Our ward is amazing and also huge. Sunday was such a great day. One of the Elders' recent converts received the Holy Ghost in sacrament meeting. It was such a cool thing to see how happy she was. That is what this is about. Then the young woman sang a special musical number about standing in holy places. It reminded me of all those hours spent in YW and all the fun activities we did.

We had an eating appointment with the Gruse family too. The food was so delicious and they are an amazing family. It was so fun to get to know them. Their teenage daughter Hannah is so cool. She is one of the sweetest kindest people I have ever met. She is so excited to go on a mission and can turn her papers in in 2 years. She really wants to go to the temple square mission. I hope she gets to.
 
So, what do I love about Deutschland???

I love the food. (goodness I need to find that exclamation mark) It has all been so delicious. German bakeries will be the death of me. I could seriously consume everything in there. Sister Thornton is the best and helps me decide what the best ones are but so far I can't imagine anything being bad.
 
I also love the cobblestone everywhere. Snowy cobble stone wasn't so fun to haul suitcases through that first day but I have found a strange love for it now.
 
Well the adventures continue in Berlin. This is all so new for me but it is also new for Sister Thornton. So we are meeting families in our ward for the first time and figuring out where to email and where to buy groceries. Whenever we go anywhere we pull out the gigantic map and look at all the tiny lines and try to determine which U bahn to take and which stop to get off at. We are just figuring it all out together.

This week we had to stop by the mission office to pick up cards and books. They also gave us some more things for the apartment. The problem was then hauling it all home. We just boxed it up and went. Problem solved. There were the four of us all bundled up arms full of boxes and bags as we voyaged home. I got the job of carrying the rug. They gave us a massive rug to go on our floor because it is all tile and gets kind of cold. So yes, I was carrying a rolled up rug through the streets of Berlin and on the U bahns like it was no big deal.

I looked like a serious Gypsy.



I thought we got weird looks when we talk to people about God but those have nothing on the weird looks you get when you carry a rug through the city.


So that was this week.

That is what's up with the Dahlem Sisters.

Have an amazing day. (I really wish I could find that button...)

I appreciate all the emails and prayers and letters so much.

Love you all so much
Love,
Sister Brown
Sister's Meeting Berlin, Germany 3/24/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment