Friday, February 22, 2013


February 19, 2013
Meine Familie
I wanted to write you guys again but the internet time flies.  I wanted to send pics today so I will opt for the old snail mail.  We have a lot of letter writing time on P-day. We’d have even more if it didn’t take an hour to write the return address.  Why is it so dang long!?!

Just one more of the many things to love about life at the MTC, I guess.  Another one is the sister who institutes the shower sing along every night.  She sings so loud and everyone else joins in.  The songs vary night to night. My favorite is the 1D/Taylor Swift back to back combo.  Who needs the radio!?!

This one’s for reals:  I really like how friendly everyone is. I need practice bearing my testimony in German so at lunch and other meals I find someone to practice with.  Usually it’s just some elder in line.  Where else could you bear your testimony to a stranger in a foreign language?! Pretty cool.
I dropped my garments in the toilet a few days ago. I was changing in a bathroom stall with no shelf. I had placed everything on the toilet paper holders.  I was being so careful about not letting them fall on the floor.  Then I bent down to put on tights and the garments got knocked into the toilet.  Yeah.  The adventures never end.

Cyndie was right.  The MTC is not fun.  Anyone who says so gets a lie-alert called on them.  It is hard work alles tag, jeden tag.  I definitely have had a positive experience.  I don’t want to come home or anything.  But fun is Disneyland.  This isn’t Disneyland.

We have good times though.  I’ve laughed harder in the past week than I have in a long time.  Sometimes that’s all you can do.  We’re a goofy bunch though, so laughing is a must.
German is hard. I’m not gonna lie. This is an adjustment. I have always felt very successful and put together. I’ve always been way on top of things.  It has been hard to be in an environment where even if I try my best I still come up short.  I don’t quite understand or I slaughter a sentence or I preach false doctrine to investigators, totally unintentional of course, that’s been rough.

The good news is that I know this is where I need to be.  I also know my Heavenly Father is loving and helping me every day.  He’s also blessed me with an amazing support system with Sister Hansen and our district and teachers and branch leaders.  We just take it one day at a time and pray, in German J, for help all day long!
You guys are the best! I love getting letters. It seriously makes my day. I always save them until right before bed so I can really read and enjoy them. 

Love you all so much
Sister Brown

Bunch of random after thoughts:

1.       I just re-read the letter and found that I said “lunch and other meals” uhh…not sure what that was.  Could that have been more awkwardly phrased? I think not.

2.       The food here doesn’t even come close to the horror stories. I have loved something every meal.  Plus they use BYU Creamery Ranch so there’s a bonus. They are a little nut crazy though so that ruins some plans. No reactions yet though! Oh and no nuts in the chicken salad sandwiches.  Blessing!

3.       The Dansko shoes are the most comfortable thing I currently own.  Such a good choice.  We do a lot of walking/standing plus I started running so that has been great.  We did good all the way around with shopping.  Lots of mix and match possibilities.

4.       We watch Mormon Messages sometimes in study time and it makes us so excited.  You know you’re TV deprived when you find joy out of watching 10 Mormon Messages in a row.  We watched the trek one I’m in too.  The whole district was like, “What the heck?! There’s Sister Brown.”

5.       Maddie, if you can look up and send me the quote from Pitch Perfect about speaking German and having no fun that would be great.  We get it quoted to us all day when other people find out we’re learning German but we aren’t quite sure of the actual quote.  Thanks Pal!

6.       Dad, you should let Jeff know I love getting notes from his girls.  They just sent me Valentines and some cute heart stamps.  I love writing them back.

So there’s basically a whole other letter.  Enjoy! J

No comments:

Post a Comment